23 November, 2012

How to be a Writer 2

"Yuji, how can I be a writer? I also want to have my books published."

I don't know how many people asked me this question in Japan.


Then I ask them, "well, have you written a novel or short story or whatever something you can show other people now as your work?"


Their answer is always the same.


"No... because nobody asked me to write. I have never received any offer."


And I tell them, "then, you will never be a writer. I promise!"


They must think I am mean. (oh yes, I can be mean, very mean, time to time! Be careful!)


How can they get job offers as a writer if they haven't complete anything they can show other people?


This is not just about people who have a dream of becoming a writer. In fact, most people keep dreaming without doing anything specific. As a result, they live a life they don't like and keep complaining how unhappy they are. Sad.


If you are serious about becoming a professional writer, how about starting a blog? You can do it today.  Most of the time, it's free.


Please don't try to find excuses like "nobody knows me, so nobody will visit my blog." All the writers were unknown at the beginning. But they made efforts to be known while producing their writing works.


Please don't say, "I have nothing to write about." You do have your own unique experiences and your own point of view that you can share with the rest of the world.


To those who are serious about becoming a professional writer, I would like to advise you one more thing.


"Live your life fully"


In my case...


I am living my life like a big joke. And the joke is real.


Yuji xxx

No comments: