28 November, 2012

Haiku in Foreign Languages

Vintage Bench Monday by Yuji_in_Paris
Vintage Bench Monday, a photo by Yuji_in_Paris on Flickr.
A good friend of mine gave me a haiku book in French.


The first haiku that caught my eyes is this one.


Ce matin l'automne - 
dans le miroir 
Le visage de mon père (Murakami Kijo) 


I love it when I understand French!


More than that, I was deeply moved by the beauty of haiku in French. I didn't know this haiku in Japanese, but I perfectly understood the idea behind this work.


If I translate the same haiku into English, it will be like this.


Autumn morning -
in the mirror
My father's face (translated by Yuji)



Well, this is not beautiful nor poetic at all. I can't believe I'm Japanese and I used to work as a translator!


By the way, what is haiku? My favorite description is " a dew drop of poesy." I read this in an English haiku book, which I don't remember the title of.


Another friend of mine in Germany just released his electronic poem book.



I don't understand German (except "prost") but the last chapter is written in English, which I enjoyed a lot! 


Here, he does a wonderful "Schüttelreim" playing with words so cleverly. 


Maybe one day I will also write books in English as well. Not sure about French... not just yet. 



Yuji xxx

PS Hartmut, Thank you for your advice. I added the one word to the translation!

No comments: