24 October, 2011

Stealing Umbrellas

Japan has a reputation for being a safe place. Even in the 21st century, it's true.


If you forget to receive your change at a shop or a restaurant, they will follow you quickly and give you the change, even if it's just 100 yen (a little bit less than 1 euro).


On the other hand there is one thing I don't understand.


People often steal umbrellas in Japan.


This must be a little known truth, so I really want to talk about it.


People often steal umbrellas in Japan!!!

And they don't mind it. Because they normally buy new plastic umbrellas for 300 yen...

It has happened to me so many times. And my friends have had the same experiences.

This photo was taken in Paris. It's a famous umbrella repair shop. It was closed when I visited. I have never seen an umbrella repair shop in my country, so it was very interesting to me.


But... I almost never see people carrying an umbrella in Paris. It's a mystery.


Only very rich people in France buy umbrellas? Or, umbrellas are out of fashion?


Yuji xxx

No comments: