30 August, 2011

Our Own Culture

When I visited Claude Monet's house and garden, I was so impressed by a huge collection of Ukiyo-e prints.

The collection is incredible, I have never seen that many Ukiyo-en prints in my life at once. There were so many works that I had never seen before.

So great to know there were many great artists in France who appreciated Japanese culture.

On the other hand, people in Japan often don't realize the value of their own culture.

In modern days, Japanese Manga and Anime are certainly something Japan can be proud of.

But even now, there are some old people who consider Manga and Anime are only for some maniac people.

I have worked with French comic artists on several occasions. One of them told me it was wonderful that nobody laughs at you if you are an adult and read a comic book on the train.

The reality is, people here don't express their feelings so directly especially towards strangers, or in a public place.

I grew up with Manga and Anime, so I have nothing against them. But I remember one of my elementary school teachers would constantly make fun of the students who liked Manga...

Anyway, majority of people between the age of 20 to 50 roughly belong to "Manga and Anime generations." The situation will be better.

On the other hand, young people often have no interest in traditional Japanese culture. I don't have so many friends who have seen Kabuki plays!

No comments: