26 November, 2010

Kawagoe, my hometown

The word "hometown" has two meanings.

1. the place you were born.

2. the place you live now.

I was born in an old city called Kawagoe, but I kept moving one place to another. I didn't spend so much time in Kawagoe.

I feel so much at home in Tokyo where I live now.

Kawagoe attracts more and more visitors, and is often introduced in guidebooks.

I visited Kawagoe three times in the past 20 years. On each visit, I was together with a friend from another country.

Unfortunately, Kawagoe is becoming a sightseeing spot for me, too.

The photo was taken at Kashiya-yokocho (sweet shop alley, or confectionery row), Kawagoe. Look at the bead curtains made of candies!

It's too dangerous for me to live in the alley.

Changing the subject, I want to add the third meaning to the word, "hometown."

3. the place you feel at home, or feel welcomed.

In this sense, Tokyo is my hometown, and Paris is also becoming my hometown.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: